It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: POD OR NOT TO POD
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

Many people have been asking us the question should I use a MOVING POD or a FULL SERVICE MOVING COMPANY. This is a question that only you can answer once you have the facts and know the difference’s of PODS VS FULL SERVICE MOVING.

First make a list of what moving services you need and expect, Include what you are willing to do yourself and what you require from a MOVING COMPANY professional. Understand that when using MOVING PODS you will be doing all the labor, loading, packing, unpacking & unloading yourself.

Also take into consideration that when performing a self serve move (MOVING PODS) you will need additional equipment such as moving blankets, paper pads, dollies etc; all of which will add to the cost of your MOVE.

Another factor to consider during the planning of your move is labor, if you’re going to use MOVING PODS you will have to be physically capable of lifting your furniture and or any appliances that you might be planning to move with the MOVING PODS.

Liability is another area that you need to take into consideration when considering MOVING PODS. You will be packing your items and are there for responsible for making sure that they are well protected and secured for your MOVE.

MOVING PODS can save you some money as compared to a FULL SERVICE MOVING COMPANY in the long run however remember that you will have to do the work to get those savings.

Post subject: Re: POD OR NOT TO POD
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:46 am 

After doing my homework I found that most of the moving estimates I received for moving pods were about 35% less then the full service moving companies quotes.

I did end up choosing the pods moving quote as I was tight for cash. I did struggle a bit as loading all my belongings was a large job but I guess beggars can't be choosey.

The pod moving quote did include basic coverage for damages and I also needed to buy packing blankets from a local moving company so me thing would not get damaged during the move. I did save money using the moving pods but if I had the means I would have gone with the full service moving company quotes

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:45 pm 

Pods vs Upack Uload is a subject that you need to really think through; yes you will save some money on your moving needs generally in the area of 20% but there some factors you need to be aware of in order to make a educated decision. Pods upack and uload services are for do it yourselfers as compared to full services moving companies you will need to do the heavy work of loading unloading padding and wrapping of the furniture.

There are also some other cost factors you need to calculate to arrive at the right choice; with pods and upack moving services your insurance or damage coverage is minimal if you have any at all. Remember your packing and loading so if something gets damaged your on your own. Moving companies can supply the moving blankets as well as dollies to pad and load your large items with self service moves you will need to buy or rent these yourself, also items such as moving straps to tie down your items in the truck may be needed to ensure there safety on the moving truck.

Pods upack vs full service movers is a very debatable subject but comes down to two simple costs service and labor, if these are your main objectives then by all means you should be looking for a full service moving company, on the other hand if saving a few dollars and hard work doesn't scare you then pods and upack uload are the right choice for you.

When getting moving quotes be sure to ask the right questions like how long will it take for my things to be transported and what kind of damage coverage is available; remember with pods or upack uload type services your coverage will be minimal if there is any at all. Also remember to do some research on the moving companies you are considering check their reliabilities reports and read some moving company reviews to ensure your making the right choice

Unread postPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:51 am 
Site Admin

While PODS biggest feature is the fact it allows you to load and unload on your own schedule, sometimes carrying boxes back and forth just doesn’t seem as fun as say, watching someone else load your PODS storage container.

Sometimes, when making a move, the work needs to be completed in a small window of time and often, your time is being split between several different priorities besides packing your belongings. Especially given that packing can be especially time-consuming and without previous experience or proper materials this can lead to a lot of uncertainty. Will this box be too heavy to place on top of other boxes? Am I packing my container most efficiently? It might even be difficult to decide what should be wrapped or how much it should be wrapped.

Depending on how much you have, it might even be too much to handle for one or two people! A great alternative is using a professional moving service and getting a few discount moving quotes

Unread postPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

When you’re planning a move a long distance, it can be a bit intimidating. Do you bite the bullet and pay a moving company to pack and move your stuff, or do you rent a truck and move it yourself. You might just find that it can be surprisingly cheap to rent a one way moving truck.

When you use a full-service service moving company, you can often get them to pack most everything, inventory it, load it in the truck, and unpack it for you on the other end. However, this can be a very expensive way to go, especially if you don’t have enough to fill a full truck so compare moving companies and get a few discount moving quotes . This can be really painful, since you usually pay for the entire truck, even if what you’re moving only fills the truck two-thirds of the way.

A great alternative is to pack and load everything yourself. While it may not sound fun, having done it myself, it isn’t as bad as you might think. It is a cheap way to move compared to a full-service moving company, and you can control your schedule more than when you set up a time with a mover. You’ll also always know exactly where your stuff is.

You can usually choose from several sizes of trucks, from a pickup truck to a 21 foot truck, and can even get something to tow a car behind the larger trucks. One recommendation I would make is to get the car carrier trailer if you’re towing a car. On one move, I used the car dolly that only hooks up to two wheels. Towing that car cross-country by the front wheels actually messed up the alignment of the rear wheels, which added to the cost of the whole move. The car carrier does cost more, but may end up saving you money at the end of your trip.

Keep in mind that if you use the blankets that usually come in the trucks, you’ll be charged for them, and may even be charged to use the dolly to put your items on the larger trucks. In most cases, you’re charged by the mile or the number of days you keep the truck.

You may have to park in a strange way to be able to load the truck, which can sometimes cause problems if you’re only allowed to use a certain number of spaces, like at an apartment. You may want to check with management first to prevent inconveniencing other tenants.

Driving the truck across the country, or even across town, can be an adventure if you have the right attitude, and keep in mind that you’re probably saving a ton of money compared to having someone else do all the work for you.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:26 pm 

The PODs identity numbers were given to me by PODs and confirmed, and that the PODs would be available to my mover. I also notified PODs that the mover was going to use a bolt cutter to remove the locks, and gave him permission, via PODs on site, to do so, per PODs procedure. He started with the first two PODS on 12/5 and loaded all the goods into his trailer.

BUT PODS GAVE HIM SOMEONE ELSE'S POD. So the goods he loaded into his truck, drove an hour south to his facility and unloaded into his storage shed was a combination of mine and someone else's possessions.

PODs didn't even let us know for 5 days, until late in the evening of 12/13, by email, that they had given him the wrong POD, and DIDN'T TELL THE OTHER PERSON AT ALL that they had given her POD contents away.

They continued to charge both of us rent on the PODs they had misplaced, used my mover, at my pre-paid expense, to sort and reload our co-mingled goods at his storage facility, during the time he had allotted to finish my move, which made him unable to finish my job before he left for extended Xmas vacation.

They continued to charge me rental fees on the PODs that were left at their facility until Jan 12, since their use of his time kept him from finishing my job before his vacation. He had planned on completing my move by 12/15.
After several Customer Service complaints, Cedar Rapids PODs said they would waive those fees, then charged them to my credit card anyway. They lied and totally reneged on the agreement to waive but later said they would at least prorate, then CHARGED THOSE FEES to my credit card anyway.
This was pure retaliation for the BBB complaint I filed.

Neither I or the other person knows if we are straight with our respective goods - I don't know if she has even been told. PODs Cedar Rapids was trying to keep it from her. PODs has ignored my demands that they indemnify me from charges of missing or damaged goods belonging to the other person.
Customer Service is nice at first, but claims it has no authority over the PODs facility, as they are a franchise, and if the franchise blows you off, so do they. And then they get nasty and refuse to help further.

Susan of Nashville, TN