Hiring movers is not an easy task. The industry is saturated with hundreds of moving companies, which makes it a challenge for one to choose the right company. Choosing the right moving company can make your move seamless, and help you make sure that your belongings arrive at your new home in one piece. With that said, let’s look at a few things that you must know before hiring movers. These will help you make the right decision.
Read on for more information.
DIY move vs. hiring movers: what do you need?
Depending on your current moving circumstances, you need to know whether using the services of a moving company is the right decision. What’s the best option here: paying movers to move your belongings or do a DIY move with the help of friends and family?
A DIY move isn’t recommended if you are doing a long-distance move. There are many factors that you must consider and also the risk of damaging your belongings when you do a long-distance move is very high. A DIY move might be the best option if you want to move across the tree or town, to a neighboring town, and when you don’t have a lot of delicate items to handle. However, you might need to hire movers if you don’t have heavy and delicate items like a piano, or if your move needs special hoisting equipment. Understand the benefits of hiring movers as this will make sure you have a safe, affordable, and smooth move.
Don’t underestimate the importance of getting estimates
Now, you’ve decided to hire professional movers. So, what’s next? Do you know the tips for hiring a reputable moving company? One of these tips is getting estimates from different movers to help you in choosing the best moving company.
One thing you must note with the estimates that you get is that they will give you almost every information you need to choose the right moving company. And why is this? The estimates you get aren’t all about estimating the cost. A good estimate should come after a mover evaluates the items you need to move. Please note that you might have to pay more if you request a mover to evaluate your items and also do a risk assessment to ensure that the moving day is as safe as possible.
So, request evaluations from different movers, as this will increase the chances of hiring the right moving company. Also, you can use this opportunity to ask the movers any questions that you might have before your move. You should get written estimates a few days after the inspection, and the estimates should have the cost of any extra services required for the job to be completed.
Take your time to research more about your movers
Hiring the right and reputable movers is the secret to any successful relocation. And, while trustworthy movers do exist, finding one is not an easy task—unless you’ve taken your time to research more about the movers you’ve found.
Generally, everything boils down to doing your homework to avoid unwanted stress when you hire a moving company. With that said, here are a few things to help you choose the best moving company.
- Compare the cost estimates that you receive from the movers. Ignore any estimates that look too good to be true. Also, don’t forget to check whether the quotes have any special services.
- Check the online reputation of the movers by reviewing customer reviews.
- All interstate movers should have the relevant licenses to do such kinds of moves.
- Any reputable mover must be registered with the American Moving & Storage Association (AMSA), as well as Better Business Bureau (BBB).
It’s possible to save money if you choose to hire a moving company
If it’s your first time moving, several tricks can help you save money if you choose to hire a moving company. In any case, moving can be very costly, and you need to do whatever you can to save money.
Here are a few cost-saving tricks to know before hiring a moving company:
- Comparing estimates from different movers can help you choose the mover with the most reasonable and pocket-friendly offer—one that suits your budget.
- Create a home inventory to know what you need to move. Please note that the more items you need to move the higher the cost of moving. Taking an inventory of all your items will help you do away with the things you don’t need to move.
- Another way of saving money if you choose to hire movers is by packing all the items that you need to move by yourself. Some of the items that you can pack on your own include clothes, bed linen, shoes, kitchenware, and books. Doing so will help you avoid paying movers to do the job.
There you go! Knowing these things will not only help you hire the right movers, but it will also help you save money, and have a stress-free move. Also, you need to know that hiring movers is not a one-day job. So, you will need to take your time to research more about them if you don’t want to regret it later.